How to Make Giving Season Last All Year
The holiday season is upon us – a time for food, family, shopping, and celebration. The holidays are also a universal season of giving that extends from consumers to businesses to schools and to non-profit organizations. On the business side of things, corporate giving in the form of programs such as matching gifts, volunteer programs and other donation programs usually see a spike between Thanksgiving and the end of the year (Tis the season, after all). While the extra boost of corporate philanthropy that typically comes at this time of the year does make a significant impact, shouldn’t we be striving to maintain this higher level of giving all year long?
Companies are becoming more and more focused on philanthropic efforts, due to the many benefits of a strong CSR program, but how do they keep the interest and participation high after the holidays? Whether you’re starting a new CSR initiative or simply trying to improve upon the previous year’s efforts, the holidays are the best time to encourage giving for the year ahead.
Corporate giving and employee giving programs are great ways to enhance a company's visibility while creating a reputation for doing good. Creating a culture of giving is also a wonderful way to foster an engaging and productive work environment. In fact, 88% of millennials say their job is more fulfilling when they are provided opportunities to make a positive impact on social and environmental issues.
The holiday season is the time of year when most employees get on board with giving initiatives, so you should be using this time as a jumping off point to set the tone for giving in 2018. Here are some tips for how to do it:
- Continue to remind and encourage employees to give once holidays are over.
- Keep the momentum going through open communication about CSR programs via email, newsletter, and staff meetings.
- Gain feedback from employees to create, modify or enhance a year-round giving program.
- Creative initiatives that will entice employees to participate.
- Use specific causes to further engage employees in campaigns that matter to them (breast cancer awareness month, etc).
- Involve employees in a meaningful way through:
- Team volunteer outings
- Company-wide service days/months
- Friendly office giving competitions
- Create an employee CSR board to brainstorm new ways to improve initiatives, increase participation, gain feedback, be champions of the current opportunities your company provides.
How do you keep track of all these initiatives and their success? There are a ton of online platforms that can easy manage and track the impact of all your giving programs. Employee giving initiatives, in-kind donations, grants, scholarships and more can all be housed in one system to give you a complete giving picture. Having all your data in one place not only makes it easier to manage, but also makes it easier to share your successes with employees, investors and consumers.
Find out how DonationXchange can help boost your giving programs with our all-inclusive philanthropy platform.